Melinda L. Singer, Esquire
Call Today for a Free Consultation
Menu Contact

Child custody when father's name is not on birth certificate

Many children are born to unmarried parents in New Jersey and across the country. This could lead to questions about child custody. If paternity is formally established, the fact that the child's parents are not married makes no difference under the law. However, if both parents did not sign an acknowledgment of paternity, the father's name will not be on the child's birth certificate, and the mother will have no right to child support without first proving paternity.

Beware of inaccurate information about child support

Google and other search engines have become go to places for answers to just about any questions people in New Jersey and elsewhere might have. Unfortunately, not all online information is fact-checked. Child support is one subject about which online articles often contain myths that could cause problems for those who use the information without confirming its validity.

Contact Me To Discuss Your Needs

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response

Our Location:

Melinda L. Singer, Esquire
3 University Plaza
Suite 207
Hackensack, NJ 07601

Phone: 201-870-0826
Fax: 201-678-9595
Hackensack Law Office Map

Contact Us

We Accept the Following Credit Cards

credit cards